NM State Climate Task Force
The NM State Climate Task Force aka The Interagency Climate Change Task Force is co-chaired by the New Mexico Environment Department and the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department.
- Sarah Cottrell Propst, Cabinet Secretary New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department
- James Kenney, Secretary of the New Mexico Environment Department
The Albuquerque Journal, reported on Jan 29, 2019:
- Under the governor’s order, the task force will evaluate potential policies and regulations, such as:
- • A market-based program that sets statewide emission limits.
- • New emissions standards for light-duty vehicles sold in New Mexico.
- • Updated building codes.
- • Creation of transmission lines and infrastructure to get renewable energy from clean power plants to market.
The 2020 Task Force Report
Table of Contents
The Governor’s Message 4 Science and Data 6
- Science 6
- Data 6
Reducing Greenhouse Gas Levels 10
- Electricity Sector 11
- Transportation Sector 14
- Industrial Sector 18
- Built Environment Sector 20
- Natural and Working Lands Sector 24
- Cross-Sector Emissions Reductions 27
Adaptation and Resilience 28
- Economic Transition 28
- Public Health 32
- Emergency Management and Infrastructure Resilience 33
- Water and Natural Resource Resilience 34
Moving New Mexico Forward 38
The 2019 Task Force Report - "New Mexico Climate Strategy"
The New Mexico Climate Strategy: Initial Recommendations and Status Update 2019 report addresses a wide variety of issues as shown in the Contents:
Table of Contents
The Governor’s Message 3
Science and Data 4
Reducing Greenhouse Gas Levels 8
- Electricity Sector 9
- Transportation Sector 11
- Industrial Sector 13
- Built Environment Sector 15
- Natural and Working Lands Sector 18
- Cross-Sector Emissions Reductions: Market Mechanisms 19
Adaptation and Resilience 21
- Economic Transition 21
- Public Health 22
- Emergency Preparedness and Management 23
- Water Availability 25
NM Climate Change Task Force Updates
NM Climate Change Task Force held a number of Climate Stakeholder Listening Sessions to review progress and goals of task force teams. Presentation slides were circulated to attendees ahead of time.
- June 10 Presentation - Clean Energy and Grid Modernization, Energy Efficiency
- June 30 Presentation - Sustainable Infrastructure, Transportation
The complete list of the NM Task Force Climate Action Teams is:
- Clean Electricity and Grid Modernization
- Energy Efficiency
- Decarbonizing Transportation
- Climate Hub: Data, Outreach, & State Leadership
- Natural and Working Lands
- Economic Transition
- Sustainable Infrastructure and Planning
- Emergency Management, Health, and Resilience
- Cultural Heritage
Some studies have been commissioned from the The Center for the New Energy Economy at Colorado State University.